Divorce is a confusing and complicated process that can last longer than expected at times. While the only requirement for filing for divorce is simply to be separated for one year from your spouse, there are numerous other things you will need to do in order to prepare for divorce and make sure you are protected. You will have to make difficult decisions in a short span of time. As such, here are some things you need to know or do to make this process easier and a lot less stressful.
Before the Divorce
Consider talking to a marriage counselor. Marriage counselors can help you to cope, and provide tips and strategies on how to deal with the emotions you are feeling.
CONTACT AN ATTORNEY
In North Carolina, the separation and divorce process can be complicated. Because of this, it is important to speak to an attorney before you make any decisions, as even the simplest things can make a huge difference in the process. The best way to know your rights under North Carolina law is to contact an attorney who can guide you through this process.
P.O. BOX TO RECEIVE ANY PERSONAL MAIL
If your spouse is not aware that you are considering a divorce, you should consider opening a P.O. Box to receive mail and correspondence from attorneys and other professionals.
The following legal documents will assist you immensely as you prepare for divorce.
- Obtain a copy of your marriage certificate
- Make a copy of any prenuptial or post-nuptial agreements
- Make a copy of licenses
- Make copies of trust documents
- Make copies of any wills executed during marriage
- Make copies of any other documents that you feel could be important to the process
- Update your will. While you cannot disinherit a spouse in North Carolina, you will still want to amend your will before separating in case something were to happen to you.