An environmental activist and founder of Glossary Organic Products and Glossary Foundation, offers 8 effective household life hacks that will make life in your home more environmentally friendly, help save money and avoid unnecessary electricity consumption.
1. In the cold season, during the heating season, when I ventilate the room for a long time, open the window, I close the radiator valve, especially if it is equipped with a thermostatic valve. Otherwise, the valve will react to the cold outside and heat the radiator to the maximum.
2. When the water boils, I reduce the power of the stove so that it stays slightly below the boiling point. The trick is this: as soon as the water boils, it can not become hot: all the energy supplied to it goes only to evaporate, without accelerating the cooking process.
3. When I leave home, I always turn off all electrical appliances. It is best not only to turn off, but also to disconnect from the outlet everything that consumes electricity unnecessarily. Few people know that switched off devices continue to consume electricity if they are plugged in. Usually in much smaller quantities, but still.
4. If no one is going to use the scanner or copier in the office for a few hours, I unplug these devices. Thus, they will not consume electricity unnecessarily at night and on weekends.
5. Closing the faucet, I always turn it in the direction where the “cold”. This simple trick does not allow the next user to immediately turn on the hot water without realizing it.
6. I allow hot products to cool before putting them in the refrigerator: this prevents the refrigerator motor from running at full speed to cool them. Conversely, I thaw frozen foods in the refrigerator: I use them cold to give the engine a rest.
7. To prevent the coffee machine from consuming electricity without having to maintain the water temperature, I turn it off as soon as I pour myself a cup of espresso. If I want to make another cup of coffee by the end of the day, it’s not hard for me to wait two minutes for it to warm up.
8. As soon as I get up from my workplace, I turn off the computer screen with a special button. This gesture has no effect on the operation of the computer. It will continue to work as usual, I just need to turn on the screen again.