A lot has been said about the dangers and benefits of dairy products, and yet, this issue still remains one of the most important in medicine and nutrition. You’ve probably already heard of Colin Campbell’s China Study, a book that redefines the way we think about dairy products. If not, it’s never too late to get acquainted with this information in order to better understand the effect of certain substances on the body, and then draw your own conclusions. If you plan to permanently or temporarily abandon the “milk”, you should carefully compose the diet: think over how to get vitamins D and B12, protein and calcium. It may be worthwhile to consult with a qualified doctor who monitors the latest scientific research before making such a decision. And, of course, listen to your own feelings and your own body. Most likely, it will thank you (as in the case of giving up alcohol, sugar or gluten). Having abandoned the “milk”, you can notice the following changes:
1. Your digestion is stabilized. According to the US National Library of Medicine, 65% of the world’s population has difficulty digesting dairy products. This is due to the fact that animal milk contains the carbohydrate lactose and the protein casein, which are not intended for the human body. Because of this, even if you are not diagnosed with lactose intolerance, you may experience discomfort after consuming dairy products (for example, bloating and other digestive problems).
2. The condition of your skin will improve. As a rule, animal milk contains hormones (and sometimes sugar) that can affect the general hormonal balance of a person, causing various problems, including with the skin. And this is just one of the reasons. Most people who quit dairy products notice significant improvements after a month of a dairy-free diet – the skin looks more hydrated, acne, rashes and redness disappear. Excessive puffiness begins to disappear within a week. Avoiding milk can also reduce the appearance of psoriasis and eczema.
3. Mood stabilizes. We have already said that dairy products contain hormones: progesterone and estrogens. Manufacturers assure that their concentration is low (the higher the fat content of the product, the greater the concentration). And yet, even a small amount of hormones entering the body from the outside can affect chemical processes and cause mood swings.
4. The general sense of self will improve. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study, connects the development (and sometimes the emergence) of many diseases precisely with the use of dairy products. In turn, avoiding them can stabilize the condition and significantly reduce the manifestations of some chronic diseases. In addition, “milk” is a mucous product. If you are prone to colds or are sick right now, try eliminating dairy products from your diet for at least a few days – you will immediately notice the difference.
5. You can lose weight. Replace pizza, cheese pasta, and Sunday cheesecake with healthier, nutritious foods. For the same reason, and also because of the lack of “heaviness” in the abdomen (and the other aforementioned digestive problems), you will feel more energetic.